If your question is not answered on this list or you need more information, please contact our office directly at 719-589-5898. If your question is regarding sales or sales listings, please contact our office at 719-589-5899 to speak with a real estate agent.
The answers to these questions are general answers that apply to most of our customers. However, these answers are superseded by any lease or contract and we recommend you check your lease for specifics.
1. Where is your office located?
503 MainSt, Alamosa, CO, 81101, On the corner of Main St and Hunt Ave. One block west of Hunan’s Restaurant & across from Valley Lock. The Property Management Department is downstairs on the West side of the building (near the Crane mural).
2. What are your hours?
We are open 9am-5pm Mon-Fri, or by appointment.
- We are closed for the lunch hour, between noon – 1:00pm.
- We are closed for government holidays.
- Our hours may vary during December and January.
3. What is the best way to see what rentals you have available?
Our rental listings are updated first on our website.
We also maintain a rental list in our office.
4. What are the approval guidelines for the application process?
- Approval requires a score of 535 or higher (on a range from a low of 300 to a high of 850).
- Conditional approval requires a doubled security deposit or a cosigner who applies and is approved in all 3 categories.
- Approval requires no reported evictions.
- Conditional approval requires a doubled security deposit from applicants with any eviction history.
- Approval requires that applicant has no criminal history
- Conditional approval requires a doubled security deposit from applicants with a misdemeanor record.
- Rejection occurs for all applicants with a felony record or applicants that are required to register as a sex offender.
5. What are the requirements for submitting a security deposit and/or first month’s rent?
Security deposits and the first rent payment have to be paid using certified funds of some kind. Usually this is a money order or cashier’s check. We cannot accept credit cards or cash at this time.
6. I want to see one of the rental listings, what do I need to do?
After you have filled out a guest card at our office and provided us a copy of your identification, we can give you a key so you can look at the unit, if the unit is vacant.
7. Do you accept pets?
It depends. Each property owner has different requirements regarding pets. Some owners will allow pets and some will not. Each rental listing will say if pets are accepted or considered. We have a form for requesting approval for a pet. Click here to download the form.
8. The listing says that pets are “considered”, what does that mean?
It means that the owner will consider renting to someone with pets, but requires specific information about the pet before deciding if the pet will be allowed.
9. What utilities are included in the rental?
Each rental may include different utilities, but this information will be included in the listing.
11. How can I pay my rent?
Rent can be paid in the following ways:
- Online – After activating your tenant portal you can pay online using your bank account (free) or credit card (fee). You can also set up recurring payments so you don’t have to remember to pay your rent. Contact our office for assistance setting this up.
- Mail – Rent payment checks (or money orders) can be mailed to Porter Realty, 503 Main St, Alamosa, CO, 81101
- Bring it in – Rent payments can be paid at our office with a check or money order, we do not accept cash.
- Leave it for us – Rent payments can be left in the mailbox at our main sales office (South side of the building at the top of the stairs). Please do not leave cash in the mailbox.
12. A friend wants to move in and become a roommate, what do I do?
Your lease probably restricts the number of people who can live at your residence. If you are not over the maximum number (or you have received permission from our office), then adding a roommate is fine. Please have the new roommate come by our office so we can make a copy of their driver’s license and obtain contact information. You will also need to decide if the new roommate will be added to the lease and become financially responsible (see the next question).
13. I need to add someone to the lease, how do I do that?
We have a form specifically for this purpose. Everyone who is currently listed on the lease will have to sign the form along with the new tenant. The new tenant will also have to fill out an application and pay the $50 application fee. Click here to download the form.
14. A roommate is moving out, what do we need to do?
If they are on the lease, moving out does not alleviate the tenant’s financial responsibility for the residence. Please contact our office and inform us as to who is leaving. You will also need to decide if the person moving out should be released from the lease, and their financial responsibility (see next question).
15. I need to remove someone from the lease, how do I do that?
We have a form specifically for this purpose. Everyone who is on the lease will have to sign the form along with the person being removed from the lease. At least one person remaining on the lease will have to successfully complete our approval process. Security deposits will not be refunded until the entire lease is terminated. Click here to download the form.
16. I have a maintenance request, what do I do?
There are several methods to submit a maintenance request:
- Online – After activating your tenant portal you can make maintenance requests online. Contact our office for assistance setting this up.
- During working hours – Either call in or come in and make a maintenance request.
- Non-working hours – If the problem is an emergency, please call a vendor to get the problem fixed. Please also call our office and leave a message listing your name, unit address, description of the problem, and the vendor responding to fix the problem. Click here for a list of local vendors
17. What are the late fees if I pay my rent late?
Rent is always due on the 1st of the month. Most leases give a 5 day grace period. If you know you are going to be late please contact our office immediately. Please refer to your lease for specifics regarding due dates and late fees.
18. What happens if my rent check or online payment gets returned for non-sufficient funds?
A payment that was returned for non-sufficient funds (NSF) will be reversed, which could cause late fees to be applied to your account. A NSF fee of $30 will be charged to your account. The returned payment will still have to be paid. After two checks or online payments have been returned for non-sufficient funds, only certified funds will be accepted for that unit.
19. Do I need renter’s insurance?
Yes, Tenant Liability insurance is required. If you do not get your own insurance, we have a program that covers the lease requirements and the cost is $12 per month. If you don’t provide proof of coverage before move in, you will automaticly be enrolled in our program.
20. Where do I get renter’s insurance?
Most insurance companies offer “renter’s” or “tenant’s” insurance. Here are a couple local insurance companies (with links to their webpage):
21. I want to get a pet, what do I do?
Please contact us first. Some properties will allow pets with an additional deposit, some will not. We have a form for requesting approval for a pet. Click here to download the form.
22. I want to get satellite TV, can I?
It depends, some properties will allow a satellite dish and some will not. Please contact us first. It is usually recommended to have the dish mounted on a pole in the ground insteading of mounting it to the building.
23. My lease is almost up but I want to stay, what do I do?
Please refer to your lease for the specific renewal terms. With most leases, you won’t have to do anything, the lease will automatically renew for another year. We usually send out a letter prior to the renewal reminding you about the renewal and updating any terms of the lease that are being changed.
24. I want to move out when my lease is up, what do I do?
You need to submit an Expiration of Lease form to our office at least 30 days prior to the end of the lease. Click here to download the form.
25. My lease is not up yet but I need to move out, what do I do?
You need to submit an Early Termination of Lease form to our office as soon as possible. There is a $250 fee for an early termination and you are still responsible for rent and utilities until the unit is re-rented. Click here to download the form.
26. I’ve submitted the Expiration (or Early Termination) form, what else do I need to do prior to moving out?
We have a move out checklist to help you prepare the residence. Click here to download the checklist.
27. I know I have to have the carpets professionally cleaned, who do I call?
You may use any professional carpet cleaning company you desire, but you will have to provide us with a receipt from the company showing the carpets were cleaned. We recommend the following local companies:
- MGM Carpet Cleaning – 719-580-5610
- ProClean America – 719-589-9000
28.I know I have to have the unit professionally cleaned, who do I call?
You may use any professional general cleaning company you desire, but you will have to provide us with a receipt from the company showing the unit was cleaned. We recommend the following local companies:
- Lady Bug Cleaning – 719-937-1393
29. I just moved out, how long before I get my security deposit back?
Colorado State Law (C.R.S. 38-12-103) requires that a landlord return a security deposit within one month after the lease has been terminated or the surrender of the premises, whichever occurs last.
30. I left owing money, what do I do?
Please contact our office immediately to setup a payment plan. If a payment plan is not agreed upon and set up within 30 days of move-out, the account will be sent to collections.
31. I own a property and am interested in property management services.
Please contact our office at 719-589-5898.